Saturday, December 28, 2013

A year of reading, part one

I read a lot this year.  Not quite as much as I had hoped, but things picked up and I did fairly well.  I've decided to split my review into three parts.  January - April, May - August, and September - December (not done yet - three more days!).

I'm always kicking myself that I should read more.  Especially considering I'm a LIBRARIAN.  I had a couple of slow months, but did manage to step up my reading later in the year.  Part of it is dragging myself away from the computer, and part of it is finding a comfortable place to sit and read here at home (still working on it).  I determined halfway through the year that it was our couch causing the back pain I was experiencing.  No sitting on couch = no back pain!  When the weather was nice, I had a decent chair outside, and these days I sit on my computer chair for reading too.  Lame, but it's working out all right for now.  Perhaps that should be a major goal of 2014 - finding a decent chair to sit in!

Without further ado... my 2013 reading adventures, January - April.

  • January - 3
    • Zombies Hate Stuff - Greg Stones
    • Flight Behavior - Barbara Kingsolver
    • The Passage - Justin Cronin
  • February - 12
    • Chopsticks - Jessica Anthony
    • Girl in Translation - Jean Kwok
    • Me Write Book - Graham Roumieu
    • In Me Own Words - Graham Roumieu
    • Bigfoot, I Not Dead - Graham Roumieu
    • Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple
    • The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8 - Thomas Ott
    • Drinking at the Movies - Julia Wertz
    • Battlepug, Volume 1 - Mike Norton
    • Marbles - Ellen Forney
    • Uses for Boys - Erica Lorraine Scheidt
    • Altered - Jennifer Rush
  • March - 4
    • Maggot Moon - Sally Gardner
    • The Twelve - Justin Cronin
    • A Little Book of Sloth - Lucy Cooke
    • Etiquette and Espionage - Gail Carriger
  • April - 5
    • The Lost Code - Kevin Emerson
    • Diary of a Creepy Ass Doll - Stacey Leigh Brooks
    • Flood! - Eric Drooker
    • Orleans - Sherri L. Smith
    • Lover's Lane - Rick Geary

12 Graphic Novel/Comics
5 Fiction
6 YA Fiction
1 Picture Book


Hmmmm, that's quite an interesting start to the year!  It almost looks as if I was reading lots of graphic novels to pad my numbers at the start of the year... ahem.

One (two) of the highlights was/were definitely Justin Cronin's books, The Passage and The Twelve.

Literature CRACK!  Everybody here at the house loved these books.


 


When will the third book be out?  Sometime in 2014, I hope!!!

And how can you go wrong with zombies - and clowns?!!!  You can't!  Straightforward humor.  I dare you not to laugh.



Flight Behavior was good, a classic Barbara Kingsolver - good story, strong environmental message.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - if you're from Seattle or nearby, you'll really appreciate the mocking of the whole upscale high-tech culture.  I sure did!



Graphic novels (non-fiction!) may seem like fluff, but there are some good ones out there that really pack a punch.   Marbles, for instance - which deals with the author's experience with her bipolor life.  Light and fluffy?  Not even.

Nothing too stellar in YA fiction, but nothing bad either.  I read some much better books later in the year, and will talk about them in the next two posts about this year's reading.

Duds - what about duds?!!

Diary of a Creepy Ass Doll for sure!  What could have had great potential just seemed like an overworked, trying too hard attempt at dark humor.  And it totally missed the point.

Don't bother!

No comments: