Friday, January 2, 2015

Hello 2015!

2015.  That number sure has a nice sound and look, doesn't it?  I feel like this is going to be a good year.  A year with great potential.

A short time ago, I was perusing the New Book shelves at the library.  I spied a slim volume in the craft section that caught my eye.



Kim Piper Werker?!  I know that name!   I've been aware of her for quite a while, for her work with Crochet magazine and other crochet related things.  I used to follow the crafty world much closer, but have gotten away from that in the last few years.  I snagged the book - I love reading about creativity and have been on a big Lynda Barry kick lately.  I LOVE her books.

Anyhow, I started re-stalking Kim, and she posted that she had a new ebook, A Year of Making.

Intrigued!

I bought it, and am not sorry.  I am INSPIRED.  It's been so long since I've done anything creative on a regular basis.  Yes, I've been doing a lot more with my beads, and that is a good thing.  But I used to do so much more!  I used to dabble in a lot of things, and make things for people for xmas.

So I have begun my "year of making."  I love that it is low pressure, fit to your own life.  Only have a few minutes?  Make a drawing, or crochet a row or two.  I plan on including my gardening work, once the weather gets better.

Day one - I cleaned off the table in my craft room so I will have space to work!  My beads are on the desk, and I don't really want to have to move them to do other things.  So I cleaned off the desk, and then I made a collage!  I printed out the book and worksheets, and am keeping them in an old 3-ring binder.  It needed a nice cover, so voila!



Some watercolors, cut up atlas and rubber stamp catalog pages, and a rubber stamp.  Easy peasy!

This morning I was poking around on the internet, and Kim posted a link on Twitter to an easy crochet blanket on the Meet Me At Mike's blog.  It's called the Age Before Beauty blanket - and I love the concept!  Mostly because I'm not very good at following patterns (yet).  Haha.  I have quite a bit of yarn collected over the years, so today before I started crocheting I organized it by type of yarn.    It will be so much easier to find what I want now!  I have some really nice yarn, a whole lot of strange unfinished projects, and some really manky yarn that somebody gave to me.  I might have to pass some of that on to the thrift store.

I crocheted five rows today!



Did I mention I also started a Goodreads group for a 2015 Reading Challenge and it already has almost 200 people in it?  No.  I'll post about that tomorrow, or the next day.

Until then - GO MAKE SOMETHING!

No comments: