Thursday, June 27, 2019

Life in the Convergence Zone

A few months ago we moved to a new home much closer to my work.  The shorter commute - 15 minutes rather than an hour and 15 minutes - is wonderful.  My body is especially happy that it's not sitting in a car all day.

The weather is much different here, even though as the crow flies we're not that far from our old home.  North Whidbey is in the Olympic rain shadow, and is strongly affected by the westerly winds off of the water.  Temperatures are usually 5-10 degrees cooler than along the northern I-5 corridor.

Now we live in the area where the Puget Sound Convergence Zone occurs.  When it happens, the weather can get a little wild, including thunder and lightning.  T&L was a rarity at our old home, so I'm excited to live in a spot where it's more likely to occur.  We already had one very loud storm wake us in the middle of the night a couple of months ago.

Yesterday when I arrived home from work these almost mammatus clouds were lurking above our house...



They were trying!  Some did form down in Seattle earlier in the day.

In 2007 when we were visiting South Dakota the day we went to the Badlands was quite stormy.  I had fun with one of the photos I snapped as we were driving along.



Bring on the wild weather - I love it!

No comments: