Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Yay!


Yay! Yay! Yay!

I'm not sure why I'm shouting "yay" at the moment - it must have been for a good reason.

Perhaps I'm sugarly gleeful for summer reading at the library! YES!!!! That's it!

Okay. I'll be honest - it isn't all bad, but sometimes the crowds drive me a bit batty. Today wasn't too bad, and I had a pretty good experience. A large group of kids came down from the Navy Youth Center, and about 8 boys (age 9-11) decided they needed stamps for as many as possible optional activities as they could muster. They told me jokes.

"Why didn't the skeleton cross the road?" HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY GUTS! hahahahahahaaaa


Anatomically correct! Glows in the dark! Who knew human bones glowed in the dark?


They also said hello in a variety of foreign languages, told me what countries they'd like to visit, and what recipes they've tried - lots of SHUSHI. And they drew maps.

And then one boy said, "You're a REALLY NICE librarian! You're the nicest librarian I've ever known!"

Made my day. And I'm going to keep working on being that nice librarian every day of my life. It's not a competition, but damn. If a handful of kids can come to the library and feel like somebody is paying attention to them, then let me do this day after day, after day after day.


No comments: