Saturday, October 11, 2008

Strange things...


Could you pass by a place called the Lucky Dumpster? Me either. Yesterday Michael and I headed out for a lovely drive to the north to enjoy the beautiful sunny day. Hmmmm, lovely and beautiful. Well, yes - it was! Anyhow, as we drove through this little town of Edison I spied the sign for the shop, and decided it was time to stop and take a look. I had never, in all these years of driving through Edison, stopped to poke around. The Lucky Dumpster was a funky little shop, with an interesting mix of old oddities and new artistic bits. I just tried to find a good website for them, but their Flickr site and blogspot haven't been updated in a while. Too bad - they had a lot of really cool stuff!

And then there was this guy...



After a short look-around in town (it's small), we hopped back in the car and continued on to the next stop - another antique/junk shop. I'm not even sure what it's called! Anyhow, it's always a good stop, jam-packed with interesting things. Outside there are shelves and bins and bins and shelves of various metal implements and electrical cords and wires and dirt covered coffee mugs. Really fantastic if you're into metal. Inside is much the same, at least as far as the general feeling of chaos is concerned. There is barely an open spot on any of the shelves, and as you wander down the aisles you never know what you will find. Lots of little tiny things to look at. I'm particularly fond of little figurines - such expressive faces!

I thought that this jar was rather interesting. I've been spending a bit of time over at the Sociological Images blog, and it really helps tune my eyes to some interesting things out there. Take this little spice jar for instance - what is up with this businessman in a stereotypical Mexican sombero putting oregano on his taco...? Huh?


I also loved this old Halloween costume - reminds me of the costumes people bought when we were kids. So garish!!! And more strange packaging - flame retarded?



If you've stuck with me this far and want to see the rest of the photos from this outing, click HERE. Definitely some good stuff!


Nortec Collective - Tijuana Bass

No comments: