Saturday, April 17, 2021

Adventures in ink making (sort of)

When one dabs colorful liquid on paper with a brush, it's only natural to begin to wonder what colors might be obtained from nearby plants, such as this red currant growing across the street.

I've been reading up on how to make inks from natural materials, and following the experiments of others.  It's not a difficult process, but I don't have quite everything I need at the moment.

No worries!  I decided to go ahead and try a very crude method today without fancy stuff like a dedicated pan for boiling things in (instead of one of Michael's cooking pans).  I also don't have gum arabic, or an essential oil to prevent mold.

First, I picked a lot of flowers off of that plant across the street.  In case you're wondering the stems are incredibly sticky.  I washed my hands with soap and that did not get rid of the stickiness!  I tried some hand sanitizer with alcohol in it and that did the trick.



The flowers have a nice fresh smell.  Not "flowery" at all - just fresh.  And they're so tiny!




I picked them off of the sticky stems, and filled up a salsa jar.




Then I smashed them with a stick!




Since I didn't have a pan to boil them in, I poured boiling water over them into the jar, then set it in the sun all afternoon to keep it warm as long as possible.




The water is taking on a pink hue, and I've tested it on a piece of watercolor paper - pretty pale!  The color shows up a bit better on a paper towel.  Tomorrow I will strain the flowers out, and let it sit in the sun again with the lid off so it can evaporate a bit.  For a first try and not following the directions closely, it's still turning out interesting!




I really miss being able to dash off to the thrift store - soon!  I'll get my hands on a dedicated plant boiling pan before long, as well as a few of the other vital ingredients to make proper ink.  In the meantime, I'll report back tomorrow after I've messed around with this batch some more.  I should have some decent marks on paper to share.  If nothing else, it's very pretty pink water!

Cheers!


No comments: